Welcome to the 8th Jiangsu University Forum for High-level Overseas Talents
Zhenjiang enjoys a favorable location on the Yangtse River, and has produced a myriad of celebrated men in history. The city where Jiangsu University is located is rich in cultural heritage, now ranked among the National Historic and Cultural Cities and the Ten Most Livable Cities in China. The over-3000-year old Zhenjiang city and the over-100-year-old Jiangsu University join hands to enhance their international influence, seizing the historic opportunity offered by China’s New Era to push forward the University-City cooperation. Just on this great occasion, we warmly welcome you to the 8th Jiangsu University Forum for High-level Overseas Talents.
Jiangsu University is a key comprehensive university founded in August 2001 by merging the former Jiangsu University of Science and Technology, Zhenjiang Medical College and Zhenjiang Teachers’ College with the approval of the Ministry of Education. Early in 1978, it was ranked by the State Council of China among the top 88 key universities in China and became one of the first institutions of higher learning in China entitled to conferring a bachelor’s, a master’s and a doctor’s degree. Co-sponsored by Jiangsu Provincial People’s Government and the Chinese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, the University ranks among the first batch of Jiangsu High-level Universities under construction, holds the honorary title of National Outstanding University for Undergraduate Teaching, and ranks among the first batch of 50 Sample Universities in China for High Employment of Graduates, the first batch of National Sample Universities for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the first batch of Universities with Quality Accreditation for the Education of International Students, and the National Pilot Universities for “Three-Whole Education” Comprehensive Reform.
With a long-held tradition of “Supporting Agriculture by Industry”, Jiangsu University has pooled strengths to “Fortify and Boost Agriculture”, to cultivate talents with “Knowledge of and Love for Agriculture”, and to reinforce her advantages in agriculture disciplines. Jiangsu University is a vice-president member of China Association for the Promotion of Agriculture International Cooperation, a standing director member of National Agricultural Machinery Equipment Innovation Center, and a vice president member of National Alliance for Integrated Development of Rural Industries. Jiangsu University ranks among Top 500 Universities in the World on the ARWU, coming out the 892nd in the world and the 43rd in China’s Mainland respectively on the University Rankings of the Times Higher Education, and the 224th in Asia and the 51st in China’s Mainland respectively on the QS Asia University Rankings.
With a persistent effort to promote development, Jiangsu University has been constantly raising her capability of scientific and technological innovation and social services. Since the initiation of the “13rd Five-year Plan”, the University has won 524 projects funded by the National Science Foundation of China (ranking among the top 50 universities in 6 consecutive years), and 50 projects funded by the National Social Science Foundation of China. So far, the University has won 13 national awards for scientific and technological achievements. We boast 2 national key disciplines, 1 national key discipline (under cultivation), 10 priority disciplines of Jiangsu colleges and universities, and 7 Jiangsu key first-category disciplines under “the 13th Five-year Plan”. We boast 14 first-category doctoral disciplines, 13 centers for post-doctoral studies, such national platforms for sci-tech innovation as Research Center for Pumps and Systems Engineering & Technology, National-Local Government Joint Engineering Center for Hybrid Power Vehicles, and Institute of New Rural Development, as well as National Training Base for Intellectual Property (Jiangsu).
Jiangsu University holds fast to the strategy of going global and has been constantly enhancing the level of international cooperation and exchanges. We have established a long-term cooperative relationship with 154 colleges and universities and research institutions from 34 countries and areas including the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Australia and Japan. As the first round Jiangsu chair & permanent secretariat, we successfully organized the Founding Conference of Jiangsu-UK High-level Universities “20+20” Alliance & the International Forum for Industry-University-Institute Cooperation. A joint communique termed “Jiangsu Declaration” was promulgated at the conference and forum that had attracted 23 high-level colleges and universities from Jiangsu and 16 from the UK. We took the initiative to organize the International Alliance of Agricultural Engineering Universities by gathering 34 colleges and universities from 18 countries and areas including China, the US, the UK, and France. Jiangsu University was elected president member of the Alliance at the founding conference.
Forum Objective and Schedule
The 8th Jiangsu University Forum for High-level Overseas Talents is aimed at creating an online platform for the excellent overseas talents to conduct academic exchanges via lectures, recruitment negotiations, offline academic exchanges on campus, etc., to promote the integration of disciplines and international cooperation for the construction of Jiangsu University into a “high-level, research-oriented international university with distinctive features”, and to comprehensively advance the construction of Jiangsu University into a “Double First-class University” and the construction of high-level universities sponsored by Jiangsu province.
Schedule: The last ten days of June, 2020
Mode: Online Forum
An outstanding overseas PhD/postdoctoral research fellow (with priority to an applicant from Top 200 colleges & universities in the world), or an assistant professor (or the equivalent) or above in a renowned overseas college or university.
An applicant shall fill in “Registration Form of the 8th Jiangsu University Forum for High-level Overseas Talents” and “Summary Sheet of the 8th Jiangsu University Forum for High-level Overseas Talents”, which will be submitted to a related school or college that will arrange for an interview assessment, and those passing the assessment shall be submitted in a summary form to the Human Resources Office of Jiangsu University. Those applicants passing the final review of the University will be included in the List of Talents for Online Forum.
Registration Deadline: June 10, 2020
Application procedures: ①An applicant files the application to a related school or college→②The related school or college arranges for an interview assessment and submits the data of applicants to the Human Resources Office→③The University appoints a reviewing committee to decide on the list for online communication→④The applicants on the list participates in online forum→⑤The University decides on the applicants to be invited for academic exchanges on campus and sends a letter of invitation to him or her.
1. Travel reimbursement: The University will provide the talents invited for academic exchanges on campus (hereinafter referred to as “invited talents”) with the reimbursement for reasonable travel expenses that cover round-trip air tickets (economy class) for their visit to Jiangsu University for academic exchanges within the year of 2020. The maximum sum of reimbursement is: RMB 14,000/person for talents from Europe and America, RMB 10,000/person for talents from Asian countries, and RMB 5,000/person for talents from China’s Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan.
2. The invited talents shall be given prioritized recommendation in applying for Jiangsu Innovative and Entrepreneurial Talents Project. A selected talent each shall be offered an innovative and entrepreneurial grant that will add up to RMB 500,000, RMB 1,000,000, RMB 3,000,000 or RMB 5,000,000, respectively, in three years to come. A selected innovative and entrepreneurial team shall be offered a talent grant totaling from RMB 3,000,000 to RMB 8,000,000 within three years by the Finance Department of Jiangsu Province. A selected innovative and entrepreneurial PhD shall be offered an innovative and entrepreneurial grant totaling RMB 150,000 within two years by the Finance Department of Jiangsu Province.
3. An invited talent shall be given prioritized recommendation in applying for the title of “Jiangsu Distinguished Professors”. The title winner shall be granted an annual job subsidy of RMB120,000 (exempted from individual income tax) within three years by the Finance Department of Jiangsu Province. A talent of natural sciences shall be granted a research fund of RMB1,000,000 (The maximum grant is RMB2,000,000 for an exceptional talent), and a talent of social sciences shall be given a research fund of RMB 500,000.
4. An invited talent shall be given prioritized recommendation in applying for talent projects like “University-Local Government Cooperation Project” (The maximum grant is RMB 1,000,000), and “Jinshan Talents Program” (The maximum grant is RMB10,000,000).
Preferential Policies & Treatment for Overseas Talents
In order to attain the strategic objective of “building a high-level, research-oriented international university with distinctive features”, Jiangsu University puts forward “Jinshan Scholars Program”. The main treatment for overseas talents is as follows:
1. A foreign academician of a developed country.
(1) We have special support and a case-by-case arrangement for the recruitment of talents of this category.
(2) Housing: We will provide a detached villa about 300 square meters and a family allowance of RMB 1,000,000.
2. A (tenured) professor or equivalent of an overseas college or university ranking Top 300 internationally; or a (tenured) associate professor or an equivalent of an overseas college or university ranking Top 200 internationally; or a talent achieving outstanding achievements in the field of his or her own subject and having a lofty international academic status. The recruited talents shall be in principle under 50 years of age. A talent much needed for the discipline development of the University may be under 55 years of age.
(1) Housing: A house about 130 square meters with property right, or a housing subsidy of RMB 1,300,000.
(2) Research Funds: More than RMB 5,000,000 for a talent of natural sciences, or more than RMB 1,200,000 for a talent of humanities or social sciences.
3. A (tenured) associate professor or above or an equivalent of an overseas college or university ranking Top 300 internationally; or a talent achieving exceptional achievements in the field of his or her own subject and having a high international academic status. The recruited talents shall be in principle under 45 years of age.
(1) Housing: A house about 120 square meters with property right, or a housing subsidy of RMB 1,100,000.
(2) Research Funds: More than RMB 3,000,000 for a talent of natural sciences, or more than RMB 800,000 for a talent of humanities or social sciences.
4. An assistant professor or above or an equivalent of an overseas college or university ranking Top 300 internationally with 3 years of overseas research work experiences; or a talent achieving remarkable achievements in the field of his or her own subject and having been highly recognized by international academic peers. The recruited talents shall be in principle under 40 years of age.
(1) Housing: A housing subsidy of RMB 900,000.
(2) Research Funds: RMB 1,000,000 for a talent of natural sciences, or RMB 400,000 for a talent of humanities or social sciences.
5. A PhD of an overseas college or university ranking Top 300 internationally, or a talent who (has) worked for more than 3 years in an overseas postdoctoral research station; or a talent who has published a number of papers in his or her own academic field in top international periodicals and has achieved a landmark achievement in his or her own discipline. The recruited talents shall be in principle under 35 years of age.
(1) Housing: A housing subsidy of RMB500,000.
(2) Research Funds: RMB400,000 for a talent of natural sciences, or RMB150,000 for a talent of humanities or social sciences.
Jiangsu University offers generous salary, which shall be based on the school policy at the time of signing the agreement. The recruited talents that will meet the requirements of related regulations of the Chinese government shall enjoy the status of public institution staff. The world rankings above refer to any of the latest rankings of Times, USNEWS, QS and ARWU.
Contacts of the Schools, Colleges & Institutes concerned: See Attachment 1 for detailed information.
Contacts of the University’s Human Resources Office: Long (Surname) & Cai (Surname)
Recruitment website: http://rcb.ujs.edu.cn